Saturday, March 8, 2014

-Family Night-

Family night has always been a struggle for me, not necessarily having it, but leaving feeling I have done something good for my children.  The old "mormon" adage..."family night is the only argument that begins with a song and a prayer" has been the epitome of many of our FHE's. And yet, week after week we continue to have them, for good or bad.

My motivation has been purely selfish. It is based on the following promise from President Ezra Taft Benson:
“Now, here are the blessings promised by a prophet of God for those who will hold weekly [family] home evenings: ‘If the Saints obey this counsel, we promise that great blessings will result. Love at home and obedience to parents will increase. Faith will be developed in the hearts of the youth of Israel, and they will gain power to combat the evil influences and temptations which beset them’”.

This past Monday, family night "just happened." I hadn't prepared anything yet, dishes weren't done, homework wasn't complete. Kyle was in "need" of more songs to download on his MP3. As he began playing songs that he might download, Jordan grabbed a broom and began serenading us. Kyle quickly got the "Guitar Hero" guitar and joined in. Kaylie and Jacob joined us in the front room and the three of us laughed, applauded, made requests, and even joined in at times. At one point, someone asked if this could be our family night. I consented. Two hours later, the performance was over.

Though we did not begin with prayer, there was a prayer of gratitude in my heart for this rare occurrence...two hours of family time together, no fighting, no arguments, no distractions. Though no great gospel principle was taught, I felt a sense of love between these siblings that I have fasted and prayed for for years. I love Meghan, Jordan, Kyle, Kaylie, and Jacob far more than words can say. I greatly desire the same relationship between them as I have with my brothers and sisters. It has been those bonds of love that I have relied heavily upon and gained strength from these many years.

 

As if that were not enough, Tuesday night Kyle asked if we could do it again. "That was the best family  night ever, Mom!" It didn't work out that night, too many other things, nor may it happen again.  However, I will count it as one of the Lord's tender mercies afforded me for being diligent in setting aside time for family home evening. 

1 comment:

Cookie Doe said...

Oh I love this. But remember: we had plenty of knock down drag outs before we became the great friends we are today...
Hang in there, it's little moments of awesome that make the "other" moments worth it.