Monday, July 25, 2016

 Tulancingo, Mexico- July 18

Hey Mom!
How are you? I'm doing great here!! we have had a pretty great week! I know its a little bit strange having a return date, Time really does fly!! I'm so grateful that I have had this opportunity to serve in the Lord´s work. I hope to finish strong and to keep seeing miracles throughout the rest of the time that I still have left. I can´t believe that Sky is finishing so soon, It doesn't feel like 2 years have already passed by! I am sure that he has had a great mission, I'm so grateful for his example. Things here in the mission are going great! President Kimball is awesome! We have been able to meet him and talk with him on quite a few occasions. He is from Idaho I think, but has lived in Provo for many years. When I first met him he asked me where I was from and I told him Springville, and he said, "Ah, right around the corner!" He has been teaching a lot about "The Culture of Christ" Basically he is helping us to think more in Christ and not so much in the rules and all that. Rather, we need to ask more, "What would Jesus do?" It has helped us to make a lot of better decisions, and we have been able to feel more the spirit of Christ in our mission!
I like what you were commenting about Testimonies. I know it is hard to get the youth to really love the Savior and His church, with so many distractions in the world right now. Its true that one has to desire a testimony to receive one. If one hardens his heart, the spirit has no room to testify of truth. A testimony is good, actually great, and I am sure that at many time we all receive a "testimony" of some gospel principle. I'm sure that all those girls at girls camp have received testimonies. The hard part is helping them to become converted to Christ. That is the intention that President Kimball has in establishing a Culture of Christ. He has mentioned to us that we need to become converted unto Christ. I really like the story of Peter, from the New Testament. When he was called to follow Christ, he straightway left his nets and followed him. He knew that Jesus was the Messiah. He saw miracles, received revelations, and bore testimony that Jesus was the Christ. But, all those testimonies that he received weren't sufficient. When Christ was tried before Caiaphas, few people asked Peter if he was one of Christ´s apostles and he denied three times. In the "made famous by Elder Holland" scripture story of when Christ appeared again after his resurrection to the apostles on the shores of Galilee, Christ asked Peter three times if he loved Him. And I feel like that was the turning point for Peter. That was when he truly became converted to Christ and His Gospel. He then went on to change the world and to establish the kingdom of God on the Earth. In Matthew 18:3 Christ said, "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Conversion is the key to true discipleship. Conversion is the key to entering into the kingdom of God. Our Father in Heaven loves us all and wants all to become converted, but we cannot be converted against our will. We need to choose today whom we will serve. Christ lives. There is no doubt in my heart. But I know that unless I allow this testimony that I have received influence my decisions everyday, I will not become converted. Conversion is a process, it requires righteous desires and actions. Conversion allows us to "Come unto Christ, and be perfected in him" (Moroni 10:32) My invitation is that we may all come unto him, and let his Holy Spirit guide us unto true conversion.
I love you bunches Mom!! I love the Talk that you sent me! President Egbert shared it many times with us, I will be sure to review and ponder about it this week!! I hope you have an amazing week and I hope everything is going great!! Love you tons!!
Elder Paynter

No comments: