Sunday, February 16, 2014



BASKETBALL...
I have had a great love of basketball ever since I ran up and down the gym in jeans at the Atlanta chapel on Ponce De Leon.  You can imagine the great surprise that awaited me when I joined the freshman basketball team in Olympia, Washington and found out that you don't just run up and down the gym and hope to get a basket.  What?!? There are actually plays? 
Fast forward "MANY" years, pounds, shin-splints, and backaches later....
I now live vicariously through my children. Everyone of my kids have chosen to play basketball at one time or another.  I absolutely love to watch them play.  It is not just about my inability to play anymore, I love the sport, the competition, and camaraderie! I have spent the last 2 months going to Jacob, Kyle, and Jordan's basketball games.  I do my best to make everyone of them.

Yesterday, Jordan and Kyle's team was eliminated from the playoffs with an "admirable" loss. They looked awesome. Unfortunately, so did the other team.  It has been an added benefit to see my boys play together.

  As a mother, it does my heart good to see them passing the ball to each other, encouraging each other, and buoying each other up!


Jacob still has a few games left. Despite their 0-something record, Jacob plays with both heart and soul.  He was born with a competitive nature.  I am sure the Lord knew he needed that, being the last of 5 strong-willed children. 

 

Yesterday, his team played the best I have ever seen them play. They didn't lose by "too" much.  At the end of the second quarter (2 seconds left), Jacob threw up a last-second shot and banked it in! I wish I could have recorded it! The surprise look on his face was priceless! He couldn't stop smiling or talking about it, for that matter.



I succumbed to temptation before Christmas break by participating in a Faculty-6th grade basketball game. I paid for it all break. Yes,the "dream" is over...I no longer can play.  Watching my kids will have to be enough!

No comments: